Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Wanda's - Shut Up and Like It or Get Out Cafe

My friend (Little Lori) sent me a link to this amazing work by Washington artist Nicole Dinardo. This is so commercial and so fun and so technically breathtaking. I realize it could never be considered "high art". You are never going to see this in a gallery, or at least not a traditional gallery.

In a story that appears in the King5.com webpage (Snohomish, Washington), we learn the following information about the artist:

In her Snohomish paint shop, Nicole Dinardo took her hobby of airbrush painting, applied it to one of the hottest selling appliances, and turned it into gold.
They are custom-painted KitchenAid mixers, selling from $450 to $1,400 a piece.
"You're paying for an original piece of art on a really functional item," said Dinardo.
First she made them for family, then for friends.
"This one here I did for a dear friend of mine Mariah," she said, as she showed off a pistachio green mixer painted with birch tree branches, birds and Swarovski crystals. "I know the birch trees signify something that goes back into her family, and the birds, everything on here is personal and emotional to her."
She made a gift for a grandma, with handprints and drawings from her grandchildren. Another one was for a soldier in Afghanistan, who had an animal print mixer made for his sister.
Now Dinardo makes them for celebrities. She showed us a pink on pink one for Katy Perry, a cream colored mixer with flowers she made for Britney Spears, and a yellow patterned mixer with "T's" all over it for Tori Spelling.
A gold and black pattern she was working on is for Beyonce.
"Beyonce's will actually be 22 karat gold (leaf), versus this one that is painted to look like gold," said Dinardo.
And now she's custom-painting 30 mixers for the swag bag at the Oscars. What an endorsement for a single mom, who seven years ago asked to be an apprentice at an auto design company.
"I get lots of networking opportunities that allow me to do work for those people, which is really wonderful."
Dinardo is swamped with orders. She says waiting time for a custom mixer is probably three months away. But she is offering gift certificates for Christmas.

Visit her website, Un Amore. and her Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/customkitchencouture?ref=ts&sk=wall#!/unamorecustomdesigns.

Like I said earlier, this is not "high art", but it is so flawless, it would make Jeff Koons envious. I like the variety of styles and looks that she achieves, but I also like the personalization she is willing to do for people. In her website she does have a few mixers that are listed for sale the were spec pieces for her, but it appears she has a mile long list waiting for her to complete custom orders. I really like the fact that she is combining her clear love for authentic automobile detailing with kitchen appliances. I have seen painted refrigerators and stoves before, but I have not seen customized small appliances before.

You must go to her website and see more than mixers. It is filled with other items she has painted - lots of skateboard decks - some were pink with skulls and bows, an old black tram with blue flames that has been re-chromed, and other appliances. She also has a few pieces of what appear to be wall-art, I mean like canvases (or whatever substrate she uses), flat pieces hung on the wall, like a regular painting. When you look at those pictures (I couldn't copy and paste any of those pics), notice the background of the photos. Some are obviously taken right in or near the shop she paints in, but most are taken in what appears to be a boutiquey gift shop. I wonder if it is her shop, or if she just places her items in other people's shops for consignment. I am guessing the latter because she seems to have a long list of waiting customers.

The last mixer I had was a "vintage piece", similar to the one shown at left. After my friends' mom passed away, I was helping them with the estate yard sale. The mixer was one of the things left at the end of the day so I got it for $2 (they didn't want to take my money, but I insisted). It was black and chrome and reminded me of my mom's kitchen (although we were never rich enough to have a mixer on a stand, she had a smaller hand-held unit. But it was a design of that era, so it was nostalgic for me to use it. It had a bad cord right where it connected to the actual plug end, so I had to make sure it was positioned just right when using it to ensure that electricity would actually run through it. Sometimes I was actually stupid enough to hold the cord, pushing towards the outlet, to make it run. I thought a number of times I needed to replace the cord on that thing, but I kept using it. Until one Thanksgiving Day when I was mixing the mashed potatoes with my awesome, vintage mixer, holding the cord just right, and got the hell shocked out of me. I saw stars. Without any hesitation, and without saying a thing, I picked the entire stand up, with the mixer bowl full of Thanksgiving mashed potatoes, and dropped the entire thing in the trash.

I have always wanted one of these KitchenAid models, and my dreams came true a few years ago. My friends Diane & Ralph were having the grand opening for the spectacular showroom at Ador Kitchens & Baths (http://adoronline.com/Culinary.html). Part of the night's festivities was a drawing for a number of kitchen goodies provided by the Culinary Institute of America. I won the mixer! Unbelievable! I don't win things in drawings or raffles. I don't win lotteries, even small ones. I was very excited, since I had been mixer-less since the Thanksgiving fiasco. My model is a nice gun-metal gray, and is top-of-the line (shown at right). One of my daughters said it was nicer than the one they had at the bakery she worked at. I will probably never be able to afford all of the accessories that can be had, but it came with a few attachments and one of them was a dough hook, so I was very excited. I am still excited about my KitchenAid mixer.

My future, perfect kitchen will be finished diner-style and I will have a large sign in neon running the length of the long wall above the counter that will proclaim, "Wanda's - Shut Up and Like It or Get Out Cafe". Wanda's will be a big, swirly pink script. Most of the other text will be seafoam green in smaller block letters. "Get Out" will be in either white or ruby red, and it will be set on a flasher. I suppose if I had the money to swing the whole diner thing complete with a neon sign, I could afford one of these mixers. I will order it to have the neon sign painted as a distorted reflection on the top of the mixer. In reverse. I should probably just budget for that, since I may be able to afford that LONG before the whole diner thing happens. I like that idea, working on the vision, keeping the image in front of me every day.

Nicole Dinardo is able to utilize her artistic talents in many ways, and the customized mixer thing has taken off for her. Like I said earlier, this is not "high art", but it is amazing and marketable. She is in demand for what she does. It will never be in a museum, but it will earn her a very comfortable and respectable living. So I have to ask myself, is my goal to be a successful, commercial artist, like Miss Dinardo? Or is my goal to produce masterpieces? In my typical over-achieving manner, I intend on doing both. I would like to have fun with my art, creating with humor and talent and thought along the way. In this path of creating, I sincerely hope that I am able to come up with something that has a little bit more of an impact than painted mixers. I would dearly love to create a masterpiece of my own generation, something that speaks on several levels to not just my peers, but to the generations of my children and grandchildren.

5 comments:

  1. After reading this article I am a bit confused.... are you in support of Ms Dinardo or not? Her name is Dinardo as you spelled out at the beginning of your article but later changed to Diamanto. If you are in support of her or even against her. It would behoove you as a blogger to have your facts correct. Also you made mention you copied and pasted her images to your page. Which I would assume it was not with permission. If you had in fact had Ms Dinardo's permission, 1. Her name would have been spelled correctly throught the ENTIRE article, and 2. the article would be more clear and complimentary. I would tread lightly when writing about other artist and copying and pasting their work to your page without permission. You are treading into a potential legal battle that I am sure you had no intentions of stepping into! I would love to see your "high end" art. A bigger impact than "painted mixers" WOW those are pretty big shoes to fill! I have been to Ms. Dinardo's art gallery shows. I dont recall having ever heard of you. Does Beyonce, Kim Kardashion, Brittany Spears, or Tori Spelling have your art work in thier homes...I didn't think so.... =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's your fixation on "high art"? Do you think you're a museum curator?What if she painted the exact same thing on canvas so it would be traditional, safe and familiar to you? Would it then be high art? Do you or anyone you know think you can do what she does?

    Art comes in 1000 forms so get over yourself and open your mind or only blog about your so-called "high art".

    Don't pigeonhole talent and we won't pigeonhole uppity bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AGREE WITH THE ABOUVE POST... TOTALLY CAN U REWRITE THIS IN ENGLISH. This is why I am not a blogger. First of all I would like to commend Ms. Dinardo or what is her name Ms. Diamanto for such a beautiful vision she created and turn them into reality. One question I want to ask, what kind of background do you have that qualifies you to make such comments regarding her mixers "art" whatsoever. Since I am so confused about this article, you can probably pick up your dream mixer from a garage sale for $1 or maybe Walmart? I've been to her shop and see her at work. She don't just come up with a vision and just paint this mixer half ---. They are beautiful and it seems like your complaining about her prices (i am still confuse???)after seeing her work personally and HER SHOP, I will pay big $$$$ to own one of her KitchenAid. It saddens me to see you copy & paste other stories onto to your blog and uses her pictures without her consent. Maybe you can pick up the phone and call Ms. Dinardo on the phone oh wait is her name again?? and get to know her or I can give u her address and you can go to her shop and meet her in person. And then maybe you can rewrite your article, POKE YOURSELF IN EYE AND SHUT UP! Thank you for the article! Great publicity even though we are confused! And Ms. Dinardo, when people criticize or be negative, it makes you a SUPERSTAR. signed FG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Er, the blogger calls this art "amazing", "flawless" and "breathtaking" and encourages readers to visit the artist's website and Facebook page - she obviously loves the pieces and is clearly not attempting to appropriate or profit from the artwork by posting pictures, nor does she need the artist's permission to discuss her. She also blogs that it's not "high art" (her apostrophes, not mine), intoining that it may not be what society has deemed "high art" - not insinuating that the blogger is the Queen of All That Is High Art and this artist knows nothing of it. Also, attacking a blogger for misspelling, and then misspelling yourself (Kardashian, Britney) kind of empties your gun. To also imply that you're not an artist unless your artwork is in a Hollywood a-lister's home is ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE these mixers; they are "amazing", "flawless" and "breathtaking". I agree that it does seem like an insult to say repeatedly that they are not "high art" but I'm not sure that that was the writer's intent. I hope she was writing about Ms. Dinardo to share Ms. Dinardo's talent with her readers. What a brilliant and original idea to transform a kitchen mixer into a one-of-a-kind piece of art! Brava Ms. Dinardo!

    ReplyDelete